What our curriculum looks like:
From Year 3 to Year 6, we deliver the aims of the National Curriculum through a weekly Mandarin lesson delivered by our specialist Mandarin teachers. Lessons provide opportunity for pupils to practice and develop, in a balanced approach, their spoken and written language. Children understand and communicate ideas, facts and feelings, orally and in writing. Our aim is to provide a strong foundation for reading comprehension and an appreciation of Chinese culture.
Our curriculum is sequenced so our pupils’ schemata can grow, through the connection of new knowledge with previous knowledge. We define progress by our pupils knowing more, remembering more and being able to do more.
The Mandarin curriculum is carefully mapped out, considering some of the following:
- Are we enabling children to understand and respond to spoken and written language from a range of authentic sources?
- How is the learning of new vocabulary developed? Do lessons facilitate the exploration of the interplay between Mandarin and English vocabulary?
- Is the curriculum planned in accessible step-by-step manner so children can build on previous learning?
- Are we enabling children to remember what is most important?
- Does our curriculum support effective transition in languages from primary to secondary school?
Our Mandarin curriculum long-term plan can be found below: