At Fulham Primary we endeavour to create a love for literacy. We want every child to leave Fulham Primary with the skills of an excellent writer who:
Has the ability to write with fluency and has an author’s voice;
- Thinks about the impact they want their writing to have on the reader and knows how they will achieve this;
- Has a sophisticated bank of vocabulary and an excellent knowledge of writing techniques to extend details or description;
- Can structure and organise their writing to suit the genre they are writing and include a variety of sentence structures;
- Displays excellent transcription skills that ensure their writing is well presented, punctuated, spelled correctly and neat;
- Re-reads, edits and improves their writing so every piece of writing they produce is to the best of their ability and better than the last.
Throughout their time at Fulham Primary, children develop their skills by exploring a whole range of different genres, with a focus on exploring a range of models of excellence and using these to guide the drafting and editing process. It is important to note that we not only develop a real enjoyment of writing in English lessons but in all subjects across the curriculum. We expect the highest standards of writing every time a child writes in any subject. If you would like to know more about the National Curriculum for English, please click here