What our curriculum looks like:
Our Religious Education curriculum is holistic, and this starts right from Nursery. Using the content from our recommended local authority scheme and the Early Years Framework we have carefully sequenced our religion curriculum so children learn in a logical step by step manner.
In religion we have six big ideas (faith, worship, rituals, connections, symbolism and community) and our curriculum is sequenced so children’s schemata can grow through the connection of new knowledge with previous knowledge.
We have carefully mapped our curriculum, carefully considering some of the following:
- Is the curriculum planned in accessible step-by-step manner so children can build on previous learning?
- Are we enabling children to remember what is most important?
- How does teaching in the Early Years introduce pupils to the study of religion?
- At the end of year 6, do children have wide breadth of knowledge of religion and non-religious concepts?
- Do children have meaningful visits to places of worship? Do outcomes of trips demonstrate understanding of the curriculum?
- How does the curriculum provide pupils with the capacity to make sense of religion and views held by communities around the world?
Our RE curriculum long-term plan can be found below: